Monday, August 26, 2013

It Can Be Complicated...

To judge or not to judge, that is the question?  

Jesus says, "Do not judge, or you too will be judged."  Matt 7:1

Paul says, "What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? God will judge those outside. 'Expel the wicked man from among you." 1 Cor 5:12-12

Okay, now that's all cleared up...

I hate thinking of myself as judgmental, but hate even more not knowing if its true. 

It seems obvious, in light of the mountainous evidence in the New Testament, that labeling sin and unright-ness is what Christians are called to do. I mean, from Jesus, to the disciples, to Paul - the early church had no problem calling out behavior that was wrong in the sight of God. That is a fact. 

Were they judging?  Are we to judge?  ...I'm confused!!!

FACT - There is such a thing as judging...and it is wrong and Jesus calls us not to do it. 

FACT - We are to judge rightly and distinguish evil from good. 

FACT - We are to not yoke-ourselves with unbelievers (correct judgement is needed here). 

FACT - We are to distinguish false from true prophets. 

Consider this...

“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn... 
---John 3:16-17a

Condemn (John 3:17) and Judge (Matt 7:1) are the same word. 

Do you think it is possible to see wrong behavior, not tolerate wrong behavior, call out wrong behavior, and yet not condemn the wrong-doer?  

There is ungodliness, and that ungodliness must be confronted - not excused, over-looked, dismissed, etc. There is far to much "over-looking" for the sake of not "judging" taking place in the church today. 

Judging is wrong when condemning is its cloak. 

Perhaps confronting (judging) is real love toward those we see living unrightly...  Confronting is confessing that we've ALL been there and done that. We've ALL chosen our way over His way at some point. 

Perhaps real Love is confronting one another in dedication, understanding, unswerving loyalty, and an I'm-not-going-anywhere type of attitude that says, "I understand and I don't condemn you - I want to walk with you through this so that you can overcome it!"

I want to be this to others...  ...just as Jesus was and is this way toward me. 

An Optimist...
A Helper...
A Shoulder...
A Christian...

Jeremiah 

2 comments:

  1. Question - not in disagreement but just curiosity (totally agree with what you've written here): How does Paul use the word "judge" when talking about those in the church? Is it the same as "condemn"? If so, what's your take on that?

    Greg Baker

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Greg,

    It's the same word.

    It's been a long...hard...study for me, in light of where I've come from and where I now am. As is the case with everything I've ever studied and preached, this little blog is a personal discovery that I get to share with others.

    I knew, the time I first encountered Jesus, that He did not seek my condemnation, but my restoration. While I was a sinner, He loved me. While I was purposely running from Him, getting more lost, He was seeking me. He is The Savior, The Saving One.

    My confusion and frustration came to a head I light of these verses. Judging. Condemnation. Judgement. How does it work? I've come to the conclusion, based mainly on the context of each passage, that the word κρίνω has two means...just as many words do in both Greek and English. The context determines the final meaning.

    For Paul, Jesus, and several other NT writers, in the context of condemning sinners/wrong-doers/un-right people, κρίνω means to "write-off," "give up on," and "cast aside as worthless and unredeemable." This is a character flaw and not only absent in Jesus, but anti-Christ. Christians never do this.

    Yet the word κρίνω is still applicable in the body/Church. We are to judge right from wrong. We are to distinguish good from evil. We are to boldly and unwaveringly call all people out of unGodly living. But we are not to attach to it an unsaving or writing-off attitude. Those trapped in sin may indeed be sinners, but they have been made worthy of saving by the blood of Jesus - His clear and true insight of the lost.

    So... We as Christians, I included, are subject to judgement and even scrutiny by those in the body of Christ/the Church - but in that confrontation (κρίνω), there is the understanding, acceptance, and undying love of Jesus the pulls the lost into the arms of Jesus...and salvation.

    It's where I want to live, Greg. Receiving forgiveness and extending it to all I meet.

    Appreciate your question.

    jb

    ReplyDelete