Tuesday, May 14, 2013

The Homeless, the hopeless...



It had been a powerful service!  Not necessarily due to the preaching or worship or response, but simply because God had chosen to move upon us.  Many had responded to the alters and were both praying and being prayed for when I stepped to the pulpit to close in prayer.  

While praying, I began hearing a “ticking” sound.   At first, it seemed far off, but as it continued, it grew louder and drew closer to me.  I opened my eyes just in time to see a man in a wheelchair speeding down the center isle on a collision course with those at the foot of the stage.  After leaping down and preventing the five-person-pile-up, I spun the man around, wheeled him back up the isle, and finished praying from the back of the sanctuary.    

Christopher was one of the many homeless men who lived in the neighborhood where the church was located.  He was a Vietnam vet, occasionally attended the church, and lived “most of the time” - his language - under a bridge just around the corner.  Christopher looked what most-long term homeless look like.  He was dirty, his clothing was weather-beaten and torn, he was missing most of his teeth, and he reeked of alcohol.

As we spoke, I was bombarded with conflicting emotions.  I was concerned for Christopher: he clearly did not look well.  Yet I was also frustrated with him!  Christopher was completely oblivious to the scene he had just caused.  All Christopher was concerned about was...well...Christopher.  


A Forgotten Truth...


Of course, I don’t have time to go through the entire discussion that Christopher and I had that evening, but there are some highlights to our conversation that were good for him and good for those of you who are reading this article to hear.

After setting with Christopher, listening to him as he shared some of his story, giving my Bible to him, and then praying for him, I asked him if I could personally get him to one of the local missions in the area.  Christopher’s response did not surprise me, nor encourage me...for I have been working with the homeless for several years and expected his answer.  He said, “I don’t need the mission.  I am happy just the way I am.”  He continued to explain that he was content and was a Christian living “free” and “right with God.”  

Now… I don’t doubt Christopher’s motives, but I do challenge his assumptions.  As I told him, I will share with you.  Christianity is not about living “good,” nor is it about avoiding the “bad.”  It’s not about “going to church,” nor is it about giving money, time, and acts of service to the needy.  Of course, these are all things that Christians do, but doing these things, doesn’t make you a Christian.

I told Christopher that being a Christian was about asking Jesus to come into our life as Savior and Lord, asking Him to forgive us of our sins, and then, live life in response to His direction and leading and purpose.  This last part was a struggle for Christopher, and apparently, a forgotten Truth among some in the Church today.

You see, Christopher was not a bad guy.  Sure he had some substance abuse issues (but you might also, if you were in his position...so stop judging him), but he was making what seemed like an honest attempt at going to church, praying, and reading his Bible.  Christopher’s “hold-up” in his walk with Jesus was, he wasn’t allowing Jesus to be Lord of his life.

Christopher wanted to serve Jesus on his own terms.  I gathered very quickly that he was a good man, but again, Christianity is not being simply a good man.  Christianity is about responding to Jesus and walking in His will for your life.  I mean, really, remember the words Jesus spoke to the woman caught in adultery.  He did not judge her, nor did He condemn her.  He said, “Go and sin no more” (NLT).  God’s will for this woman is very similar to His will for Christopher.  As she was to no long to stay in her “way of life,” Christopher was to no longer stay in his.

Call me narrow-minded and capitalistic, but I believe God has more for Christopher than sleeping his days away under a bridge, finding dinner at the local dumpster, and collecting cans to sell for his daily alcohol rationing.  God’s plan for Christopher is BIGGER!


Silver and Gold I Do Not Have...


I travel a lot and visit around 30 states each year.  While on the road and during our stay at each church, I see a lot of homeless standing on street corners holding signs.  The message varies, but most of the time it boils down to them needing money.  I must admit, it is a bit awkward setting at a stop light with a man or woman holding a sign, only a few feet away, peering into your car window.  Normally they don’t speak and normally I don’t either, but on the occasion that they do, usually asking for money, I reply and say, “Silver and gold I do not have, but what I have, I will gladly give to you.”

Their reaction varies from annoyed to curious, but regardless, I am completely serious...just as Peter and John were when speaking to the beggar on the Temple steps (Acts 3:6).  And just as Peter and John certainly had money, I too have money (normally...though I usually on carry my Visa).  But I do not give it, just as Peter and John did not give it.

Why?!!!

Perhaps the answer is in Peter’s response.  Listen to what he says…


But Peter said, ‘I don't have any silver or gold for you. But I'll give you what I have. In the name of Jesus Christ the Nazarene, get up and walk!" - New Living Translation


Notice that Peter says, “I don’t have any silver or gold for you.”  

I think there is valuable Truth in this statement.  The circumstances and culture are a bit different, but the Truth is applicable in our day just as it was in Peter’s day.  Perhaps the “Church” should respond more like Peter to the needy of our generation. 

I have to admit, it does our conscience well and fits nicely into our time-crunched-rushed-lifestyle to quickly spit out a few $$$ and get on with our day, but is that the real...Christian...answer in such circumstances?  I think not, and apparently, neither did Peter.


Loving People...
Is Not Always Giving Them... 
What They Want...



I imagine there are going to be some who will verbally pound me for such comments, but I think it’s more cruel to contribute to poverty than to embrace, love, and help people out of it.  I think, in general, people think it’s cruel to not give money to the homeless.  I want to challenge this….and yet...not necessarily prevent.  If you want to give money, fine, do it!  But don’t stop there!  Reach out!  Draw in!  Walk them, being pushy if needs be, into a new direction!  Remember, Peter said, “In the name of Jesus Christ the Nazarene, get up and walk!"

What does that mean?  I don’t know, maybe, “walk in a new direction.”  “Try something new.”  Follow Jesus!”

A Lesson From a Crippled Beggar…


In John 5:1-15, we find a story about Jesus healing a man who had been a cripple for most of his life.  Notice, Jesus did not “buy him off” with a few quarters from his pocket.  He asked him, “Do you want to get well?”  It was a life-defining question for the man.  

So what happened?  You know, Jesus healed him and set him on a new path...a new direction...a new way of living.  There was no conditions, no qualification, and no demands.  The man didn’t even have to believe or follow Jesus.  He was free to live, fresh and new.  


...but did he?


We gather that he did not.  At the end of the story, Jesus finds him still in the temple...still in his old ways...not moving forward...returning to his mat.  Jesus speaks openly to him, “Stop sinning or something worse may happen to you.”  What does that mean?  “Move on my beloved!”  “God has more for you than this.”

Ponder this as you calculate if you should’ve wasted your time in reading this radical article by a non-caring middle-class snob (I get that from time to time): it may be easier and make you feel better to give money to the down and out...and maybe you should, but please, don’t stop there!  You’ll more than likely do more harm the good.

To give someone “Jesus” is to give them YOURSELF!  


As a prop to hold on to?  Yes.  
As a shoulder to lean upon?  Yes.  
As a Light in the darkness?  Yes. 
Even as a hope for the hopeless.  Indeed!


I hope you’ve heard my heart and participate in your world rather than being a spectator within it.

His Alone,

Jeremiah 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Jeremiah, I believe whole-heartedly with you on this topic. I work with the homeless everyday. I live Jesus so I can give Jesus. Everything I have has come from Him, I'm starting over in life myself. Homeless just need a smile, God's word, encouragement and our love for them in Jesus eyes. Hate sin but love people. I plan on serving Jesus with the homeless until I die because they are part of my Jerusalem. Love you brother, Lorikay Quibell Medford, OR

    ReplyDelete