Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Bury Your Head in the Sand


My wife tells me from time to time, “Burying your head in the sand won’t make the problem go away.”  

Now, in case you’ve never heard that little phrase before, it means that ignoring something won’t fix it.  Pretending that it’s not there or not happening, doesn’t help.

By default, I spend a lot of time hanging around the Church - I mean, I’m a traveling preacher, where else would I be?  Therefore, I hear a good amount of “Church-people-perspective” on political and social issues.  All to often, and most of the time with good intention, Church folks embrace the “bury your head in the sand” approach to the World around us.  I often wonder, is this the best approach to the World in which we live?

I wonder…  Is my “bury my head in the sand” approach more about fear of rejection and persecution and less about keeping my “white hat” free from the dirt of this World?

I wonder…  What does “garbage in / garbage out” really mean?  Should I shun the world and isolate myself from all ungodly people or should I be aware of / familiar with / keenly in-tune with the World in which I live?

I wonder…  Are we, the Church, cowards?  I think not…  Ignorant?  Maybe irresponsible is a better term.

I wonder…  How did Jesus act to the World He lived in, 2,000 years ago?  Did He bury His head in the sand and go about His business?  What was His business?  What is our business?

I wonder…  In the midst of a world where everyone is shouting, fighting, parading, rebelling, hurting others and being hurt, showcasing, fronting, posing, and defending - if there is a place for some who calmly linger in their midst...whistling softly...with a smile on their face?

If a tree falls in the woods and no one is around to hear it, does it still make a sound?  Yes, it does.  But that is irrelevant when the tree falls through your TV set onto your pretty, clean, and organized ottoman.  

I think…  In the same way that a father is inherently responsible for his child, perhaps the Church is equally responsible for the neighborhood / town / state / country in which it is located.  Perhaps me being a Christian is just as much about me as it is about the World in which I live. 

I wonder if you will wonder with me…  What are we going to do about what we see taking place around us...everyday?

A non-bury-my-head-in-the-sand guy,

jb 

1 comment: